How Did You Start Couponing......

Kristin at Couponing to Disney started a discussion on her blog wanting to know how we all started couponing....as I wrote I realized how couponing has touched my life and wanted to share it here as well.  I would love to hear your stories if you are couponers....or another way God  has provided for you!
Just comment away!

Here was my coment on her blog discussion.

I have been married for 13 1/2 years and we used coupons for the first few years. But, because I did not see much savings and we are not picky people....generic brands were fine with us for most things...we stopped. My husband also had a really good paying job and we were frugal, but did not have to be. Then my DH decided to get out of retail (which I was thrilled about)....but it meant taking a job making half of the money! I knew we could do it...and we did....but, I was still not couponing ....and we were depleting our savings. Then a big blow 2 years ago...my DH lost his job in December of 2008. It took every spare cent we had to get through to Feb of 2009, when he was hired on at Kroger. Still not couponing;) Then in November of 2009....we were broke...literally. We had cashed in every savings/retirement we could...paid off everything we could....but our house payment was killing us. And we just did not want to refinance. We have paid it down, too. And it would have been such a shame to start over. So....how was I going to make our small paycheck work...I was praying and trusting. Then a friend of mine told me she was doing the Grocery Game. She is a very money wise person...so if she was doing it....I was chekcing it out! I signed up for me free trial...and away I went! I was amazed, to say the least, at how much I was saving. Then, as it came time for my free trial to end I started wondering if I could work out the deals on my own. I saw an article in a Christian Magazine called Homelife. The article featured Kelly over at Faithful Provisions. I followed a link to Kristin on some post...and then was turned on to Southern Savers by a manager at Walgreens....but I know who really led me here was the Lord. He answered my prayer! He gave me a way to make our meager paycheck work and live richer then we ever have! Before we lived on generic stuff. Now we are using the top brands for less! I am able to buy my girls special treats and snacks every week! All without blowing the budget! I am so thankful to all these blogs and all the work you all do. Thank you for allowing God to use you to answer my prayers!

No comments: