How to fit a family of 6 in less then 2000 sq ft! PART 1:Organizing My Bathroom

The inspiration for this series was my 8 yr olds request to move all of their bathroom stuff into our master bathroom.  They have always taken their baths and showers in our bathroom and kept all their hair and teeth stuff in their bathroom (which is also the guest bathroom).   Really they were carrying what they needed to my bathroom, getting their hair fixed and then carrying it back almost everyday.  It did seem to make sense to move it all in one place....but, I really didn't know if I could fit 6 people in one small master bath!!!!
So, here is where I started.  Most  of this was on top of my bathroom counter!  I wish I had remembered to take a picture of it while it was still up there....it was an awful mess!  
These baskets are above my toilet and they were holding various things.  These were working pretty good. 
 
Under the counter was not bad....but, it was far from working;)

 
See the plastic boxes?  It's trying to be organized....but is just not making the grade.
  
This was on the back of my guest bathroom door.  the good thing about this system was you could see everything easily.   But, I really don't  like everything to be out in the open.  It feels cluttered to me.  Not to mention...I hang my robes on the back of my door....so this could not go there.

At this point I began to asses what to do with all of this and oh, yeah...I prayed!  I know that  might sound a little crazy..... but God is even in the little stuff, right?  And it is important to me, when spending time and effort on  these projects that I get them right. My bathroom will not affect eternity....but the goal of an organized home is to free up time to focus on those things that are eternal.   So....who better to ask for help then the creator of the universe?
Here is how it turned out.......


I moved the towels up to these shelves....and you see the tp in one of the baskets.   The other basket will hold our hand towels.


 The baskets on the top shelf have my stuff in them because the big girls don't need to reach them....make-up, feminine  stuff and the baby's  hair bows.  

This is how I organized my  make-up.  I put what I use everyday in the black bag and my extra make-up in the plastic bags.  This way I can grab my everyday make-up and the other stuff  is separate . It's handy, but not getting dusty.


 

I did the girl's hair stuff the same way.  I sorted it all out into like stuff and then labeled each bag accordingly.  I put the stuff they barely use on the bottom and the most used stuff on top.  The plan is to just throw the stuff in the bin as they  are done with it and then once a week (or so) I will put everything in it's place.  (We've been doing this for a few weeks and it's working out great!)



I got this idea from the Organizing Junkie. 
It has helped to get the toothbrushes off the counter! YAY!
 
Our hairbrushes have been in this drawer for a while.....no need to fix what is not broken!
These are hung with command hooks.  I love those things! This way their towels and robes are easy access without having to commit to the height of the hooks.  As they grow, I will just move the removable hooks up!

 
I got rid of a lot of stuff and I was able to get everything else under the counter!  These boxes  and shelves have my stockpile stuff in/on them.  This is stuff that we don't  need to get to every day, so they are in the back.


This is my nail and pedicure tub.  The outer tub is what I soak my feet in and the smaller basket holds all of our nail stuff.  This makes it easy to grab and head to the couch to pamper my feet while I watch TV.  Does not happen often....but good to know it's there if I want it!

 
These bins are labeled Daddy, Girls Hair Stuff, Blow Dryer and Mommy's stuff.  They hold all the things we use everyday,  so they are at the front of the cabinet.   It may seem funny to label them Mommy and Daddy instead of our names, but I did that so the kids could read them when I tell them where something is.  Thought it would sound funny to say, "Go get it from Joyce's stuff;)"   Yes, we have to bend down now and pull out the bin each day....or just grab what we need out of it......but the result is soooooo worth it.......


Clear counter tops!  Aren't they pretty! (That basket holds wash clothes.  I wanted them where the girls could reach them.)
Really wish you had seen the before...BC this is a huge difference!

I am thrilled with my results...and so far this system has worked for us for about 3 weeks....that is a good sign that it will work long term.  So, it looks like I can fit 6 people in a small master bathroom!  One other thing I am so thankful for is that I did have  not buy anything for this redo!  As much as I'd love to go buy all new bins and boxes in coordinating colors and make under my cabinets as pretty as I can......  right now, I have a very small budget....like $0 for new projects.  So it is a huge blessing to have re-organized this room without spending a dime!

What do you think?  See anywhere I could improve my system?  I would love to hear it....leave a comment and let me know!  Thanks!
Coming Soon:

21 comments:

Ginger said...

These are some GREAT ideas!!! Love 'em!

Joyce said...

Thanks!

Amanda said...

wow looks awesome!!

Dionwpa said...

Looks great to me! I only have 2 people using my bathroom and mine doesn't look this organized!

taraputnam said...

What are in the jars on the counter?

Crista said...

I love it! I hate how our (smaller than yours) countertop looks junky and crowded all the time, but since most of it is stuff we use everyday, I thought it "had" to be up there. Now I am thinking otherwise! Thank you!
btw, I came here by way of org. junkie :)

Joyce said...

Thanks, ladies! The best part is it has stayed this way for weeks! Now on to the rest of the house;)
taraptnam- Those are cotton balls, Q-tips and Epsom salts. I have high hopes that one day I will able to pamper myself again!
Crista- Thanks! Glad I inspired you..hee hee. Cool that you found me through Org.junkie. She's awesome!

TheFiveDays said...

Lovely! You did a great job! Thanks for all the pictures, I need all the organizing inspiration I can get...lol... ;)

Sandra :-D said...

Looks great! :-)

Amy Lynne said...

Very smart! I think everything turned out great! Good job keeping it up!

Dianne said...

Great job...very encouraging! Have a blessed day.

DeDe said...

I found you through Org.Junkie too. I love your bathroom. My girls bath is also the guest bath so I too share my master bath with them and even though I had already designated a drawer to toothbrushes and hair stuff and seaweed baskets to my husband and I to clear off the clutter, I am now inspried to do even more. Thanks!

caroline said...

You know what? My favorite part was that you asked the Lord for help!!! I am with you. He cares about everything. When I remember to ask for His help (even in the little things) I am always amazed at how it turns out. Thank you for the reminder.

Jill said...

Saw this post on Organizing Junkie! I love what you've done with your bathroom! I think I would love to try to put some shelves above our toilet, too! I love that look!

GRITS said...

I love the baskets and shelves above the toilet. What a great way to use that space. Your make over looks great!

Joyce said...

Thank you, ladies!
Glad you liked the pics....I need to to see it help my brain process it....so I like lots of pictures, too:)

I'm dong this to EVERY room in my house this summer....I'm almost done...phew!! I'll be posting more before and afters this week! Hope you all will check back!

Joyce said...

Caroline- Thanks for your comment. It's good to know I'm not the only one who goes to the Lord with literally everything. And, when I do.... He is always right by my side. I, too, am always amazed at what He can do!

FlamingoGirl said...

You have inspired me to go organize my bathroom today. Thanks for the great ideas!

Jacobsmommy said...

You did a great job! Now I am inspired to tackle my mess of a bathroom. Thanks so much.

Keaki@DomesticAddiction said...

Looks great! You did a great job!

Seasons of Life said...

What a great reorganization of space to provide room for 6 people! It goes to show that small spaces DO have huge potential with a little creativity and organizational tools (baskets, baggies, shelving and hooks). Great job!