Freezer Friday: Italian Meatballs

This week's recipe is easy  but so gooooood  to an Italian from New Jersey....or anyone who like meatballs, I guess.  I multiplied the recipe  4X and made 4 lbs worth of meatballs to put in the freezer! Should last us a while.

 Here's what's goin' in......minus the ground beef bc it's all drippy in the bottom of the fridge after it's been defrosted.


And the easy part..... dump everything in the bowl and mix it together....
Note: If you're a real cook you do it with your hands....
 Just Kidding.....to me it's just faster  to mix it with my hands.  So, if you eat meatballs at my house....my hands were in them....but I promise they were clean.

Now for the hard part.......

......getting what is in the bowl on to the cookie sheets!  I did this in front of the TV bc I knew it was going to take a while!

First batch ready for the oven! Phew!  It was a long night!  
Do you know how many meatballs 4 lbs of ground beef makes?  
Yeah, me either.....but it was A LOT!

THE RECIPE
1 pound ground beef
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (or Progresso, like mine)
1 tablespoon  dried parsley
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (I never add this bc Mr. Steady does not like it)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder ( I used that minced stuff from the produce section)
1 egg, beaten 

I just combine everything and start rolling.  The key to a meatball that does not fall apart in the sauce  is in the rolling....I was taught  how by an old school Italian Mom when I was 17.  Thanks, Mrs. Brennan!
I bake them in the oven at 250 for about 40-60 minutes.  Most recipes tell you to cook them at 450 for less time....but Mr. Steady likes them soft on the outside....so I cook them slow. 

Then I put the cookie sheets in the deep freeze.  Once they are frozen I throw them in a  Ziploc bag and just add as many as we need to whatever sauce we are eating that night.  I usually use my slow cooker and let it all cook on low for half the day.

On a side note, I have to share that I think God has such a sense of humor.  He has put me.... this Italian Yankee with this small town, southern boy.  And we must be amusing. Sometimes we are like oil and water.  For example, I love sauce and noodles.....I could eat it every night of the week.  After I eat enough pasta I go back and just get a bowl of the sauce and eat it all by  itself.  I love the sauce and am convinced that Italians just need more tomatoes than anyone else.  Mr. Steady, on the other hand.......will take it or leave it....literally.  If there is something else in the fridge and he can get away with eating it without the grits noticing....he will skip the pasta!  It kills me!

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Yummy! When is dinner and can we come?!! : )

Joyce said...

Will be cooking these Thursday....come on down!

Daphna said...

:P ... like this... I make italian meatballs too. It is alot of work but well worth it. Usually when I make them I make a 10lb pack and put them in freezer bags lol.