Lemon Chicken for the Freezer

I honestly  don't like to cook.   I said it...now you all know it.  I just don't.  I have tried to like it....but I just don't.  What I do like is fixing a meal that my family really enjoys.  I like making home-made meals that are more healthful for them.  I like to hear them say, "This is the best meal ever!"  I really  want to give my family home cooked meals at least 3 or 4 nights of the week. But time to cook is a huge issue  when you spend half your day in school, while doing the laundry and dishes and wiping baby bottoms and kissing  boo-boos!  Soooooo....I have been desperately wanting to get some kind of  freezer cooking schedule going in my house......in hopes that it will solve my time issues. 
   The thing is......I have been having the hardest time finding recipes that work for our family.  Lots of bloggers do the freezer cooking thing....so you'd think it would be easy to hunt down recipes.  But, I just wasn't having a lot of luck.  Then, I saw it.  A deal posted  on Money Saving Mom for the Once-A-Month cookbooks at Barnes and Noble.  I was able to get Once-A-Month Cooking Revised and Expanded, Once-A-Month Cooking Family Favorites, Fix It and Forget it, Lightly ( I love my crock cooking, too!) and about 5 books for the girls for $25 plus tax!  Wow, right?!?
  After skimming the book, I saw lots of recipes that would work for us.....but,  I realized Once-A-Month cooking would not work for me.  You have to go out and buy a ton of ingredients all at once.  That does not work when you shop sales and coupons.  I was a little stumped and put the books down while I thought about it.  Then, I decided that once-a-week cooking was what I needed to try to do.
The plan is to cook 4 to 5 weeks worth of one meal every week.  This way if there is something on a good sale...like chicken breasts for 1.79/lb.....I can buy 'em up and cook away.  If there is nothing on sale I will cook from my freezer.  Hopefully, I will get the freezer stocked with  tasty, home-made main dishes in a few weeks.  Then, I will just have to cook and make a big mess  once-a-week to keep it going.  Sounds easy....we'll see if it is.

This week's meal:
 Lemon Chicken 


 

 Ingredients: 
 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped red pepper (I just used the yellow I had on hand)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

The yucky part....trimming the fat. I usually get my personal meat cutter to take care of the trimming.  Don't know where Mr. Steady was, but he got out of it this time.






Then you mix all ingredients and freeze it in a 1 gallon freezer bag.  I started mixing in my measuring cup because I was not sure if I had enough lemon juice for 4 recipes.  I  had enough  and quickly started mixing right in the bag.  It was too hard get everything out of the cup into the bag!


I did this 4 times and plan on eating this once a week for the next month. Hope it's yummy!

1 comment:

Sharon Cz said...

This looks like a great idea. Hank's done this a bit. He freezes his homemade chicken and meatball soup and also his homemade lasagna. I'll have to think about this too. I'm like you, though, I have trouble finding recipes for my family. No-one will eat a casserole. No-one likes anything mixed with anything else. SG doesn't like sweet sauce on anything. Hank doesn't like mayonnaise on anything. Etc. My frozen taco meat was very dry when I rethawed it. Maybe I didn't freeze it right? Or left it in too long? I'm looking forward to seeing how you do with your cooking.