Black-Eyed Peas Slow Cooker Recipe

Fix-It & Forget-It Lightly: Healthy Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow CookerEver wonder what those slow talkin' Southerners eat?  I didn't until I lived here, either.  But I'll share anyway:)  A staple down here is black-eyed peas.  We eat them as a side dish to meat, as a main course with cornbread, and on New Year's Day with collard greens!   You don't live in the South long without coming to love these little beans! Here is an easy slow cooker recipe from my Fix It and Forget It, Lightly cookbook. 

I threw together last minute on Wed.  That's the other great thing about them....they don't have to defrost and they cook great in a crock pot!

Black-Eyed Peas
  • 1 1lb pkg. dried black-eyed peas
  • 1 1/2 cups ham, diced  *didn't have any, so I used a packet of Jamon seasoning*
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. 
2. Cover.  Cook on low 6-8 hours.
3.Serve with cornbread.

No comments: