Thrifty Thursday: Valentine's Day on a Budget!

I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day!  We did.  Do you know when I start thinking about Valentine's Day?  The day after Christmas!  That's right.  As I'm shopping all those great clearance sales I am thinking about what might work for this February holiday.  Wanna see what I came up with?
 
     I bought a couple of bags of candy and chocolate on clearance, took out the green wrapped candy and saved the gold and red for Valentine's Day. 

   I actually bought the Build-A-Bears around Christmas time.  There was a cool online special where if you spent $50 you got a $10 gift card.  So, I bought each grit a bear from the clearance section, a pair of sunglasses, and a purse. All for around $50 shipped! You can order them without stuffing and then take them to the store to stuff them for free.
     I gave it all to them in the Christmas Build-A-Bear box and explained that part of the gift was a trip to the Build-A-Bear store the next day where we would have them stuffed.  They were also told they could each pick out one outfit.
First, they had to pick out their bear hearts.
Here they are doing the "heart ceremony".

  I had no idea how cute Build-A-Bear did this up.  It was really sweet!
Then, it was bath time.
Daddy helped them make their birth certificates.
Meet Zoey Crystal, Sparkle Love, Bear and Strawberry!

I let them each spend up to $15 on their outfits.  My 2 oldest grits are bargain hunters like their Mommy.  They chose $10 outfits and $5 boots from the sale section:) I used a $5 off $25 and my $10 gift card which made the total $36.  We did not clothe Baby Grits bear because she would just take it all off anyway. I also bought Goofy Grit a pair of boots for her birthday next month.....just in case you were doing the math:)
     The we headed over to Chili's for lunch where they were giving a free kids meal with every adult entree purchase.  Mr. Steady had given me a gift card for Christmas.  So, all 6 of us ate for $35 on him!
     This is the biggest Valentine's Day we've ever had.  Usually, it's candy and a small gift. But, Dancing Grit has  been patiently waiting for a trip to Build-A-Bear for 2 years! She was invited to a birthday party which she could not attend because I was too pregnant with Baby Grit to make the hour drive.  I just could not resist doing this for them. So we had chocolate, 4 Build-A-Bears, 3 outfits, 3 pairs of boots, 3 pairs of sunglasses, 3 purses, lunch out for a family of 6, and a great day with the grits all for 86! (that's only $21.50 per kid :)  I think I did pretty good. What do ya, think?
  It has been such a blessing being able to provide some of these fun things my grits have been wanting through coupons and online deals.  These "things" are in no way the important stuff of life, but I am so humbled by a God that has provided them for us!

No comments: