Friday's Freezer Cooking on the Fly : Pinto Beans and Brown Rice

   I love the idea of freezer cooking. But the once-a-month method does not work for me. First of all, I shop the sale adds. Buying a long list of ingredients at one time does not work for me. Second, it sounds like the all day cooking gets exhausting. I prefer to Freezer Cook on the Fly. What does that mean? Cook extra when I can and put it in the freezer as meals and starters for a later date. I use what I have on hand, on sale or what I already plan on purchasing. I try to put something in the freezer at least once a week.  Sometimes I plan, sometimes I don't. It really does not matter because every little bit helps.
Just Do What You Can When You Can!

What made it into the freezer this week......
I started with these beans.  I found a very basic  recipe for Slow Cooker Pinto Beans on Spark People. ( Did I mention I am using that website to track my fitness and  try and get some weight off?) 
We ate the beans and Fool Proof Oven Baked Brown Rice for supper.
I fixed Taco Soup with about two of cups of the beans.  I never do Taco Soup the same. Here is what I used this time around.
This was already in the fridge from a couple of nights before.

Taco soup is so forgiving.  I just throw whatever I have on hand in. Just make sure you get in the ranch dressing mix...that's what really makes it.

I just sprinkled these in to taste.

I mixed everything but the V8 juice.

Then added the V8 until I had the amount of soup I wanted.  This is one of my favorite ways to use V8 juice that has been in the fridge for a while.
 Then I covered it and put it in the fridge for the next day.  I mix the ingredients in the crock keep it in the fridge over night.   Then, I take it out and let it sit at room temperature for a bit before I turn it on the next day.  I have never had any problems.

 I put 2 pint size bags of pinto beans in the freezer. 

These will be used for another beans and rice dinner or chili or taco soup.  I know this is about the same as opening a can of beans, but, this way is much more economical and will have much less sodium.
I would love to know if any of you have started freezer cooking.  Leave a comment and let me know! 
Have you tried any of the recipes I've shared?  I would love to know how they came out!

Have a Blessed Day!


2 comments:

Anna O'Reilly said...

Hi! I think I met you the other day at the Craft Club at Susan's house. This post on freezer cooking is great! Thanks for sharing.

Anna

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely glad to find this. cool job!