Friday Freezer Cooking on the Fly: Homemade Waffles

If you've been following my Freezer Friday posts you know my freezer cooking method is one of very little method at all.  I cook extra of what I can, when I can and put it in the freezer.  There is very little to no planning involved and definitely not a huge list of groceries to buy.  I try to stick with things I already have on hand or that are on sale. Therefore, Freezer Cooking on the Fly seems to be a good name for my "non-method" method. 
On to this weeks" On the Fly" results....

 I haven't been able to keep any fruit in my house long enough to put any in the freezer.  I love that my grits are such healthy eaters.  But, seriously, 5 pounds of strawberries in one week?!?
I did manage to get a great deal on a waffle maker, though.  I have wanted one for a long time so I could try my hand at making homemade waffles and freezing them.  Good things come to those who wait:)
 I really wanted to make whole wheat waffles, but did not have the wheat bran or wheat germ I needed. So, I went with the Classic Buttermilk Recipe.   Let me tell you, it was more complicated than I expected. Separating eggs... beating until there were peaks...I am really more of a dump and mix girl. 
I gave it my best shot and guess what?  They were a big hit with the grits. I served then with homemade strawberry syrup and whip cream...of course they were a big hit:)
I did manage to get a few in the freezer....

This is about 8 waffles.  I'm not sure if they were supposed to be as thick as these are.  Like I said, this is my first attempt.  I froze them on a cookie sheet after they cooled and then put them in a gallon freezer bag.  This is at least one mess free, home-made breakfast ready to go. Every little bit helps.  You know my motto...
"Do what you can when you can."

Classic Buttermilk Waffles
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tbs. baking powder
  • 3/4 tbs. baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 3 tbs. granulated sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted, melted butter (I totally forgot the butter and they were still good)
  1.  Mix  the first 5 dry ingredients in a large bowl.  I use a fork or a whisk to make sure they are blended thoroughly.  
  2. In a mixer bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar and mix until stiff peaks form.  In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk and vanilla.  
  3. Then, use a rubber spatula to mix the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture.  Just until the dry ingredients are moist. Do not over mix.  There will still be small lumps.
  4. Add melted butter and mix.  
  5. Fold in egg whites until combined.
  6. Pour into hot waffle maker.  My waffle maker has a light that tells you when they are ready. I greased the plates each time I poured a new batch. They still stuck a little, but I was able to get them off easily with a spatula. 
Makes about 5 1/2 cups of batter.
   
*Adapted from the Oster book of Recipes


 

No comments: