- 3 cups of water*
- 28 oz can of low-sodium peeled Italian tomatoes, undrained*
- 6 oz can low sodium tomato paste*
- 1/2 dry red wine
- 3/4 tsp dried basil*
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme*
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper*
- 1 lb. lentils, rinsed and drained with any stones removed*
- 1 lg onion*
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1/2" rounds*
- 4 medium-sized celery ribs, cut into 1/2" slices*
- 3 garlic cloves, minced*
- 1 tsp. salt
*I use what I have on hand for this recipe. I use whatever tomato type thing I have. It might be diced, it might be sauce, it might be V-8. I also usually use celery flakes bc my grits don't like the celery or onion pieces. My garlic comes out of a big jar on minced garlic in my fridge. Everything else I usually have on hand and add it like it says.
adapted from the Fix and Forget It, Lightly cookbook.