Lentil Stew Recipe

I never follow the recipe exactly for the lentils.  I have found beans in a slow cooker pretty forgiving.

Lentil Stew
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of water*
  • 28 oz can of low-sodium peeled Italian tomatoes, undrained*
  • 6 oz can low sodium tomato paste*
  • 1/2 dry red wine
  • 3/4 tsp dried basil*
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme*
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper*
  • 1 lb. lentils, rinsed and drained with any stones removed*
  • 1 lg onion*
  • 4 medium carrots cut into 1/2" rounds*
  • 4 medium-sized celery ribs, cut into 1/2" slices*
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced*
  • 1 tsp. salt
 Throw it all in the slow cooker. Mix it up. Set it on low for 10-12 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

*I use what I have on hand for this recipe.  I use whatever tomato type thing I have. It might be diced, it might be sauce, it might be V-8.  I also usually use celery flakes bc my grits don't like the celery or onion pieces. My garlic comes out of a big jar on minced garlic in my fridge. Everything else I usually have on hand and add it like it says.
adapted from the Fix and Forget It, Lightly cookbook.

No comments: