Menu Plan Monday (with lots of recipe link-ups)

I can see the back of my fridge again!  Yay! All that Christmas food is almost gone.  Most people are probably sorry to see it go, but I never am.  I am happy when the high calorie leftovers and abundance of deserts comes to an end and we can get back to more healthful eating.  
It has been nice not having to really cook this week, though.  I need to explore once-a-week cooking. Anyone know of any good books or websites on the subject? I would love it if you left me a comment letting me know.
Anyhow, here is this week's plan. 

I love this time of year because soups in a slow cooker go wonderfully with the cooler weather. I am going to try to get some biscuits in the freezer, too.  Warm soup and warm bread on a cold winter's day...yum!

Monday
B: Homemade donuts (I bought a donut maker on clearance at Wally World. We made them this past week and they were easy and good.  The kids want me to chocolatize them...so guess I'll be working on a chocolate glaze this week:)
L: Leftover Cocktail Smokies and Veggies with dip
D: New Year's Day Dinner Again: Ham/ Black-eyed Peas/ Yellow Squash Casserole/Turnips/Crescents (I have a gazillion tubes of crescents bc hubby's store put them on sale for $1 a few weeks ago.  I had a $1/2 coupon...that made them .50 a can! I bought a ton, so get ready to see them on my menu plan a lot.)
Do Ahead: Cook pinto beans for tomorrow's recipe.


Tuesday
B: Daddy's breakfast 
L:  Crunchy Turkey Salad on crackers
D: Leftover Turkey Taco Soup    (This is a new one for us...hoping it's good.)

Wednesday:
B: On Hand
L: Annie's 
D: Leftovers 
Do Ahead: Take lentil soup out of the freezer.

Thursday
B: Eggs and biscuits
L: Lentil Soup (from the freezer)
D: Spaghetti
Do ahead: Soak the red beans overnight

Friday
B: On Hand
L: On Hand
D:Authentic Louisiana  Red Beans and Rice   

Saturday
B: On Hand
L: Leftover Over Turkey Lettuce Wraps (another new one)
D: Delicious Ham and Potato Soup  (don't know if this is delicious yet.)

Sunday
B: Mom's Zucchini Bread   ( I am planning on putting some of this in the freezer, too.)
L: Split Pea Soup   (I am linking to a recipe in case anyone has never made this, but really you can't mess it up.  I just throw the peas in the slow cooker with the ham bone and whatever spices tickle my fancy. Comes out great every time.)
D: We just snack on Sundays or hit whatever leftovers are left.

 Snacks this week:
I rely on what is on sale for weekly snacks. Pickings are good this week:)
  • Crackers
  • Oranges 
  • Cuties
  • Jello
  • Cashews
  • Ruby Red Grapefruits (these are on sale at Kroger this week)
  • Cheese (also on sale at Kroger this week)
Do Ahead:
(I am planning on making Tuesday a big freezer cooking/do-ahead day. We'll see how it plays out.)
  • Slice yellow squash and assemble casserole. I will add the cracker topping right before cooking.
  • Shred the zucchini
  • Make and freeze pancakes, biscuits and zucchini bread
  • Cut up oranges and grapefruit
  • Make stock with the Turkey bones
  • Shred turkey and freeze extra
  • Make turkey salad
  • Chop Ham 

    2 comments:

    Chasity said...

    I am making my plan this Am....thanks for the inspiration.
    As far as freezer cooking, I never did well on cooking monthly or weekly. However, I always try to do double batches of meat and freeze. Or cook all the ground meat up add appropiate seasonings and freeze. It seems in just having the meat done it speeds up supper time. I tend not to ever do this in the RV due to space issues, but there is no reason I could not make 2 lbs instead of 1 and freeze half for later. I do make muffins ahead of time as well.
    Blessings!!

    Joyce said...

    Yes, meat does seem to be the simplest thing to cook extra of and then get it in the freezer. When the meat is done half the battle is done:)

    I love freezer cooking....just can't seem to get in a good rhythm with it.

    I was supposed to do it all today, but I am so sleepy bc I have been up with hubby's alarm at 3:30 am We got the Christmas put up and that's all I have the energy for:(